Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Am I Becoming A Republican?

If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.
Winston Churchill

I agree with the above quote. As I have gotten older, I find my politics much more conservative. But somehow - ironically speaking - as conservative as I have become, I do not find the Republican party more attractive.

I am pro GOP bedrock issues like:

Education reform
Free Enterprise System
Law and Order
Education and Hard Work are the keys to Success
Personal Accountability


I am vehemently against:

People regardless of class, race or ethnicity trying to get a free lunch or playing the victim card
People thinking government should solve all their problems
Parents not fulfilling their parental responsibility
People not taking pride in their community
Reckless, violent and criminal behavior


I have been asked by my Republican associates why don't I join their party. I am lectured that African-Americans are too attached to the Democrats; and the Democrats take our voice and vote for granted. They inform me, the GOP needs more blacks and other like minded minorities to represent their interests.

I respond by telling them, I agree with their observations of the Democratic party to a certain degree. But, even though I have voted for Republican candidates in the past, I would not remotely consider becoming a member.

The GOP has been co-opted by an element that treads out the above mentioned core issues, while conversely pursuing an agenda that is anti poor, working, middle and upper middle class. Their agenda exclusively supports (outside of token bones thrown to appease their constituents)bankers, moguls and corporate tyrants.

For example, we desperately need a new energy policy, commonsense gun control laws, a more protective environment policy and infrastructure building investment; yet, because of big oil, the NRA, Wall Street and other corporate tyrants like Rupert Murdoch - that pimp the rank and file Republican members - we don't have our best interest served.

That is why - as conservative as I have become - I do not find the Republican party attractive...

2 comments:

  1. One does not have to be of the GOP to be a conservative and vote their belliefs; conversely, one does not have to be a Democrat either, You can choose to be independent and vote what you believe in. Churchill was correct that as we grow older we become more conservative because we have a better understanding of the world and the people in it. Every other week when I look at my paycheck I am angry, I am doubly pissed when I go into a store and note a grown ass healthy man buying a bag of doritos, a slim jim and a payday candy bar and presenting his EBT (electronic benefits transfer) card to pay for it. I am a registered democrat, but when I'm in the booth, I am about what is important to me. You have that choice...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have no choice because all independents are are people who can't choose. Yes you are more conservative but does that mean you don't believe in the same things you always did, no but you now know life is short and you can no longer waste it away. But all the talk about people cheating the system is how they get the people to vote against their best interests while they steal your money, how else can you explain why the richest companies in america pay no taxes.
    .

    ReplyDelete