Monday, May 16, 2011

D-Nabb Not Black Enuff Reponse

Ronald, HGP blog reader, courtesy of minglecity.com, responded to the post regarding boxer Bernard Hopkins questioning the blackness of Donovan McNabb.

I just wanted to share his insight.
He writes:


I am definitely black. I wouldn't allow a cretin of any race to define who I am. I was born in the ghetto, but the ghetto never resided in me. Now that I am wealthy, after working my tail off to get out. No one from my family bothers to call or to visit me. They are all still in the hood and proud of it. But they also complain a lot about being there. The hood is not a destination, it is a stopover on the way to a better place. People should realize that they shouldn't let dire circumstances dictate their entire life. We should all be as privileged as McNabb. But Hopkins is wrong. All quarterbacks are tough, just as all boxers are...

Ronald, to those that believe the hood is their destination or station in life, I think they are an embodiment of the premise of Carter G Woods in Mis-Education of the Negro:

"When you determine what a man shall think you do not have to concern yourself about what he will do. If you make a man feel that he is inferior, you do not have to compel him to accept an inferior status, for he will seek it himself. If you make a man think that he is justly an outcast, you do not have to order him to the back door. He will go without being told; and if there is no back door, his very nature will demand one."

No comments:

Post a Comment