Monday, April 28, 2014

LA Cippers owner Don Sterling: "Treat da blacks like dogs"

Feed them but don't bring one home
How is this Obama post-racism era working out for ya?

Of course, rhetorically speaking, we understand the fantasy of even asking such a ludicrous question.

Why?

 Because the more things change, the more they remain the same. Racists, like cockroaches, will be alive and kicking to the end of times -- indestructible.

Now, we temporarily move from infamous rancher and Negro historian, Cliven Bundy, to our current mouth that does not know when to filter or STFU, LA Clipper plantation owner Donald Sterling.

Mr. Sterling comments have resonated from the streets of Jerusalem to LA. Ole boy had a lot to say. And let us count some of the ways:

1. "It bothers me a lot that you want to broadcast that you’re associating with black people," he is heard saying. "Do you have to?"

2. “It’s the world! You go to Israel, the blacks are just treated like dogs.”

3.  "I support them and give them food, and clothes, and cars, and houses. Who gives it to them? Does someone else give it to them? Do I know that I have -- Who makes the game? Do I make the game, or do they make the game?"

4. "I've known (Magic) well and he should be admired. ... I'm just saying that it's too bad you can't admire him privately," the man on the recording says. "Admire him, bring him here, feed him, f**k him, but don't put (Magic) on an Instagram for the world to have to see so they have to call me. And don't bring him to my games.

Appalled?

Yes, this man -- while getting paid off African-American labor -- has the unmitigated gall to dehumanize and degrade an entire group of people -- comparing them to dogs.

Surprised?

Hell no. As I once stated before, racism is embedded into the very DNA of this country. Racism is America's institutional prerogative..."My country tis a thee."

But not to sound counterintuitive, I "likes" -- my emphasis on likes the plural -- I repeat, I "likes" my racism live and in Technicolor.

I likes my racism like George Clinton loves his P-funk -- uncut:

Make my funk the P.Funk
I want my funk uncut (make mine the P)
Make my funk the P.Funk (Don't step on my funk)


Uncut Racism

When racism is covert or on the DL -- you may not be able to smell, see or taste -- folks steady deny and try to flip the script by asking: Are you a race baiter or race pimp (that's U Fox Nation)?

But when we get hardcore, undiluted, P.U. racism, there is no mistaking or denying what has been done or said. Yes, we get that opportunity to address, admonish and punish the offenders, but more importantly, we get a better understanding of the nature of the beast -- a reality check.

In understanding the nature of the beast, we get a clearer picture of why we have to proactively strategize on how not to be victims of racism.

In other words, we can not legislate or shame hate from a communities heart; but, we can economically, politically and socially mitigate the power of their hate.

And keep it moving...

As ex-footballer and coach Herm Edwards stated: "Don't let anyone steal your grin."





1 comment:

  1. If they don't chase this hateful moron out of basketball the same way MLB chased out Marge, then something's wrong with the NBA that can't be fixed. This guy is going to feel the full weight of his actions. He's F'd. But I have a couple of points I'd like to float out there.

    1) It's a bit knee-jerk and kinda off the point to pin this to a supposed post-racial era of any sort. Is it not? I can't call it; it just feels a little off-base, and I'll explain: This guy (and throw in Cliven "Don't Call me Al" Bundy) is in his 80s. He's been a racist for a long, long time. People knew. Sterling is firmly stuck in his ways. Obama being elected was going to change his heart?

    Don't get me wrong, it's a huge deal in terms of Sterling's impact and position; but culturally, as just a human being, he is an irrelevant leftover. Old folks aren't going to change their views. Old, bitter white men who came up in a world where they could feel that way and be celebrated -- and many probably were raised to feel that way. Yet folks treat it as shocking.

    2) There's a brighter side to these stories -- a side that gets on my nerves if the outrage comes across as phony, mind you (ala Skip Bayless on Riley Cooper). But just look at the utter outcry that's damn near universal. And as cynical as I am, it seems heartfelt.

    When in the history of America have so many white people stood up against this type of nonsense? Sterling is being bombarded by everyone. Even your buddies at Fox were giving him the business.

    It's obvious that a lot more people feel more fervently about taking a pound a flesh from the Sterlings of America than they do agreeing with the Sterlings of America.

    When has that ever happened?

    My personal feelings about these stories being too overblown don't show up for this one in particular. This is a man who can impact lives with his racism. And he is going to pay a steep price in the end. However, he's an old asshole who is almost universally a villain now.

    In a country of over 330 million people, I'd say that's monumental progress.

    There are still over 200 million white folks who, if even 5% felt as strongly for Sterling as most feel against him, could raise one hell of a stink. Yet you hear pins drop on that side of it. That's a great thing.

    ReplyDelete