Friday, July 1, 2011

Dog Days of Summer: No NFL, No NBA




Sports world speaking - the dog days of summer have arrived - this has always been my bum time of the year. The conclusion of the NBA season ends my substantive sports entertainment and fulfillment until the beginning of the NFL pre-season.

Sorry Baseball, you do not hit the spot until October - I am just not a fan until playoffs.

To compound my sports woes, my two favorite leagues - NBA and NFL - are stuck in labor shutdowns that threaten the start of their seasons.

What's an armchair quarterback to do?

I am old enough to remember when 95% of sports news was associated with on the field performances. After the advent of 24 hour news and ESPN, sporting news became 50% field and 50% off field activities - giving us the good, bad and ugly!

I adjusted. But now, well you asking to much...

Work stoppage, collective bargaining agreements, TV contract revenue, potential league contraction, profit sharing, big market vs. small market discussions all make me feel I need a law degree to follow the reported events - 100% all off the field.

To say the dog days of summer has me wishing for years prior is the understatement of the season...

No comments:

Post a Comment